Pacemaker, April 1, 1993
Part of John Pappajohn's generous pay back to Iowans for the opportunities afforded him by his native state takes shape as a 9-level pavilion for the provision of tertiary level patient care, education of health professionals, and programs in clinical research.
The aptly named - Pappajohn Pavilion follows the design of the Roy J Carver Pavilion, which opened in 1978, and the John W. Colloton Pavilion, which opened in 1982. The three pavilions are major components of the long-range capital replacement program commenced in the early 1970s at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
Pappajohn, a 1952 graduate of the University of Iowa, contributed $3 million in August 1989 to accelerate construction of the pavilion.
In addition, Pappajohn and his wife, Mary, created a $1 million endowment for continuing support of the Clinical Cancer Center located on the third and fourth levels of the pavilion. In recognition of their generosity and commitment to a new level of cancer care in Iowa, the UI and the Iowa State Board of Regents designated The John and Mary Pappajohn Clinical Cancer Center in their honor.
Last month's opening of the Clinical Cancer Center completes the first through fourth levels of The John Pappajohn Pavilion, which will be dedicated this month. The remaining four levels, including portions of the lower level, will be completed in the months ahead.
The first and second levels of The John Pappajohn Pavilion replace outmoded psychiatric patient care units and faculty and support staff facilities within the 1919-vintage Psychiatric Hospital.
The John Pappajohn Pavilion's lower level houses the Positron Emission Tomography Imaging Center, which includes a P.E.T. scanning system and physics laboratories, and computer systems required to support this new clinical research and diagnostic imaging capability.
The Neurosurgery Clinic and faculty offices are also located on the first level, replacing an ambulatory care clinic and faculty and support staff offices formerly located on the fourth level of the 1926-vintage General Hospital.
Locating the pediatric cardiac catheterization laboratory and pediatric faculty offices adjacent to the pediatric ambulatory care clinic on level two of the Colloton Pavilion increases convenience for patients, families, and health professionals.
The development of an expanded replacement Surgical Intensive Care Unit will soon begin on the fifth level of The Pappajohn Pavilion. The new SICU will provide accommodations for 12 more patients than the current unit to resolve a shortage of SICU beds. The new SICU also will provide increased space for patient care support by physicians, nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, dietitians, and social workers.
The fifth level also provides new facilities for the Surgical Pathology and Critical Care laboratories developed in conjunction with a new Operating Room Suite in the Colloton Pavilion.
The sixth level is reserved to replace patient care accommodations of the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and of Pediatrics now located in the General Hospital. Planned for the new area are a labor and delivery suite, nurseries, and obstetric and gynecology inpatient beds.
Similarly, the seventh level of The Pappajohn Pavilion provides opportunities for replacement of remaining outmoded patient care units now located in facilities constructed nearly seven decades ago.
The eighth and top level of The John Pappajohn Pavilion will house a video production center and staff offices.
Development of a Multidisciplinary Rehabilitation Center, an expanded Orthopedic Surgery Clinic with an adjacent Orthopedic Radiology suite and faculty offices for the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and the Division of Orthopedic Radiology on the pavilion's lower level will begin this summer. This Center will consolidate services of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery's Spine Diagnostic and Treatment Center, Sports Medicine Service, and Industrial Hand Pain Program with Cardiovascular Diseases, Rheumatology, and Pulmonary Diseases Rehabilitation Services offered by the Department of Internal Medicine. In addition, the Center will provide accommodations for patient care services of the Departments of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.